Friday 27 February 2009

A few samples for starters...




Right - I thought I'd begin my first ever blog with a rundown of the kind of stuff I do for a living, and post a few samples .

On a freelance basis, I have provided visuals, storyboards and illustrations to various studios, advertising agencies and film companies since 1977. I take a brief either in person, by phone, on conference call or by email. With film work, it's always better to sit down with the director and draw up his ideas in front of him and then go away and finish the storyboards up, whereas with advertising work, the deadlines are usually so tight that such an intimate relationship is difficult to achieve. Most importantly, without the symbiotic relationship between the artist and the studio rep, you could never earn a living. As intermediaries, they take the brief from the art director, brief you in turn and then deliver the job, enabling you to avoid forever travelling or sitting in agencies waiting to be seen.
These days, there seems to be less demand for my fully finished work in colour so I tend to produce more b/w linework . This is down to budget restraints more than anything, coupled with the fact that I tend to steer away from fully computer-colouring my work. - something agencies do seem to favour lately over the old style utilising magic markers and paint. I part-colour my work on the mac, but prefer to colour on paper rather than on-screen. Also - when it comes to drawing, I have the advantage of being fast, enabling me to make a living without having to colour-up all the time.

Anyway- enough ramble - here are the samples. They show a variety of styles, and different degrees of finish - the latter always being determined by either time , budget or art director preference. Bear in mind - this isn't finished art - it's visuals and storyboard work.

I'll continue to post stuff in batches until someone asks me to stop...

No comments:

Post a Comment