Saturday 17 October 2009

Petrolheaded buffoonery




A five-page comic strip done for the Big Book Of Top Gear 2010, featuring our hapless trio of petrolheads in yet more W.E Johns-esque shenanigans. I did few pages in 2009's book and I thought I did a bit of a weak job, but they liked the idea of the comic strips enough to offer me another bash. The bugger was that I was briefed just before Penny and I flew off to Paxos for our only week away all year, and I had to spend several afternoons of my holiday thumbnailing the damn script at the quayside whilst drinking coffee and supposedly having a relaxing break - knowing that on our return home, I would have 8 days to turn 3 pages of closely-typed script into 5 pages of loosely-inked mediocrity. I feel fairly happy with the result, and the deadline wasn't really the problem - it was having to adjust to using a nib-pen and black ink again, after so many years just using pencils and markers, doing storyboards and visuals. I really did enjoy using them, and wished I could get one of these jobs every week, as I'd become more fluid with the materials and inevitably the work would improve.

1 comment: