Tuesday 4 January 2011

Damn dirty apes.


This frame is all that remains from an animatic done a few years back for SKY tv, and it was all featuring wildlife shot in night-vision, but my memory is (guess what?) hazy on the details. Did enjoy drawing the chimps though - took me back to doodling Maurice Evans and Roddy McDowall all over my exercise books at school. Oh, how I loved Planet of the Apes. I even went to see the "Apes Roadshow" in Leeds' Roundhay Park, during that wonderful summer of 76, when I was at Uni there (well, Poly...). Sadly it turned out to be just a bunch of stuntmen dressed like characters in the tv series riding around the park, shooting at astronauts and eating bananas. Very disappointing.

2 comments:

  1. 1978? Is it really that long? Wow where did all that time go?
    Steve Marsden here. We shared a space in the Illustration dept at Leeds Poly. Ah yes, happy days...
    Think your work is damn good by the way, but then it always was. I can still remember the Mort Drucker style drawings you sometimes did back then.
    Just happened across you blog. I'm not stalking, honest!
    I'm still in the business by the way albeit on the agency side. I was freelance for a while (11 years) but recently took the King's shilling. Sometimes have a need for a visualiser so it would good to catch up.
    Could you send me your email details as the link on this site doesn't seem to work on my Mac? Mine is: smarsden@bezier.com
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete